Apply for a permit to export HFCs

If you plan to export new or recycled HFCs, you must have an export permit. You can apply for a permit from us, the EPA, at any time of year and for any amount.

1. Allow plenty of time before your planned shipment as processing export permits can take up to 40 working days, after we receive all the information we require.

2. Please contact us to discuss your plans:

By email:

Freephone (within New Zealand): 0800 429 7827 (0800 HAZSUBS)

3. Download and complete the application form. Note that you must calculate, and state in your application, the carbon dioxide equivalent of the bulk HFCs that you intend to export.

Export of Bulk Controlled Substances Application Form (docx 98 KB)

How to calculate the carbon dioxide equivalent for your HFC consignment

Use our online tool to calculate the carbon dioxide equivalent for your HFC consignment (xlsx 30KB)

Note: This tool is for calculation purposes only to assist the preparation of your application.

4. Send your application form, and all supporting information, preferably by email to Please include "Application for HFC Export permit" in the subject line, and name all attachments so that we can identify them easily. Alternatively, mail your application to: HS Applications team, Environmental Protection Authority, Private Bag 63002, Wellington 6140, New Zealand.   

5. We will contact you if we need any more information. If you do not supply the information we need, we cannot process your application.

6. We will let you know the outcome of your application by email. Any export permits that we issue will include conditions of use. Please note that we may publish details of permits on our website.