Animal and pet products
Flea treatments, worm pills, mite powders and other products keep our pets healthy and happy, but they can be hazardous. Learn how to keep people and pets safe.
Do not use products designed for pets on people.
For more advice, call The Poisons Centre on 0800 764 766 (0800 POISON).
In an emergency, call 111 for an ambulance or the fire service.
Know the risks
You can buy many different products from your vet, supermarket or pet supply store to treat your pet for problems like fleas, worms or mites. You should use and store these products carefully to protect yourself, others and the environment. Before you open the product, you should read the label carefully to see what you need to do to stay safe.
Using pet products safely
You can take some simple steps to make sure you use pet products safely:
- Seek advice to make sure you are using the right product for what you want to do. You can ask your vet or at your pet supplies store for recommendations for which product will be the most effective, and the safest.
- Before you use the product, read the label carefully so you know exactly how to stay safe. Often the label will tell you to wear gloves, and avoid getting the product in your eyes or on your skin.
- Stick to the rules on the label. Your pet could get sick if you use a products in the wrong way – for example using a dog product on a cat, something made for an adult cat on a kitten, or using too much of a product.
- When you have finished using the product, store it safely, and wash your hands and anywhere on your skin that might have come into contact with the product.
Storing pet products safely
You can keep yourself, others and the environment safe by making sure you store all your pet products carefully in a place that is:
- hard for children or pets to access. The best option is in a cabinet or cupboard that is higher than they could reach or climb, with a locked or child-safe door.
- away from food, including pet food.
- far away from anything hot. Avoid places close to barbeques, fireplaces or other heat sources.
- clean and dry.
- Keep all products in their original packaging.
- Clean any drips or spills from the outside of the bottle or container.
- Check the bottle or container is closed properly.
Make sure the product has not expired. If it has, dispose of it according to the directions on the label.