Privacy Statement

This Privacy Statement applies to personal information collected from our website.

You can browse and access information contained within this website without providing any personal information. However, where you voluntarily provide personal information (for example, through online feedback forms or by emailing us) we will only use that information for the purpose for which you provide it, or unless the use is permitted under the Privacy Act 2020. We will hold all information you provide securely. We may store personal information within servers provided by offshore cloud service providers. Where any information provided constitutes a public record it will be retained to the extent required by the Public Records Act 2005.

Your privacy rights and how to contact us

Accessing or correcting personal information

You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you and to ask for it to be corrected if it is wrong. If you would like to access your personal information, or have it corrected, please contact us at or write to us (you can use this template letter) at:

The Privacy Officer
Environmental Protection Authority
Private Bag 63002
Waterloo Quay
Wellington 6140


Browser or ‘web’ cookies are small text files that are sent by a website and stored on your computer's hard drive. Cookies are generally used to improve your experience of a website (for example, by remembering preferences you’ve set) and to track site usage. This site does not use cookies to gather any personally identifiable information, but uses cookies to collect data about trends in site usage, using Google Analytics and Site Improve. You can manually disable cookies at any time – check your browser's 'Help' to find out how. Disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use this website.

Complaining about our privacy practices

If you have any concerns about our privacy practices please contact us in the first instance at This will let us know any concerns you have so we can so we can put things right. If we cannot resolve your concerns then you have a right to complain to the Privacy Commissioner.